Monday 25 May 2020

TRAVELLING WITH ITALIANS.


It was 5am on a Monday morning. I was only 24 years of age and ready to start only my second overland safari of my career. The Johannesburg International Airport  now OR Tambo airport, was getting ready for another day of activity. By the time my five new female clients from Italy approached me I was standing all by myself with the welcome sign in my hand.

I started by introducing myself to the obviously tired looking ladies but before I could finish I was informed that one of the ladies lost part of her luggage. I offered to go and look for it at the lost luggage department but was quickly informed that if I do not mind her not waring any underwear during the next seven days we could depart for Kruger National Park as they were excited to start their adventure.

The five soon made themselves comfortable in our vehicle and enjoyed their beauty sleep until we reached the town of Belfast in Mpumalanga Province. After a quick coffee and bathroom brake we were back on the road. Then came the question: “Is there a place nearby where we can purchase alcohol?”
There are in dead, I replied, but it is 8:30 in the morning? We did not ask you for the time one of the ladies replied, we would like something stronger than coffee to drink please. We pulled into the small town of Machadodorp just as the shops was about to open and like 5 international athletes my guests disappeared into the nearest liquor store.

After what felt like for ever they reappeared clinging on to a one litter bottle of Russian Vodka and a five litter orange juice. Climbing into the vehicle they had a discussion with one another in their native language and shortly after two of them disappeared again into the same liquor store.
On the arrival of the two ladies back at the vehicle I caught a glimpse of another one litter bottle of Vodka joining us on our adventure. Like true barmen or in this case bar ladies they managed to open the first bottle and was pouring themselves drinks in the moving vehicle without spilling a drop. Then another and of course another just for the sake of it. After the city of Nelspruit (2hours later) I felt something travelling over my shoulder landing on the dashboard of our vehicle followed by giggles. I picked it up and immediatley realised that it was woman’s underwear.

“So what am I suppose to do with this ladies”, I asked with a clear look of confusion and disbelieve on my face. “You need to guest who it belongs to” they replied in almost a hysteric tone of voice.
“Well it will not be yours”, pointing at the lady that lost her luggage, “as you would need yours for the next seven days.” Everybody laughed and our journey continued. Entering Kruger National Park brought a new wave of giggles, laughter  and excitement as they started to enjoy the amount of animals we were seeing and my explanations on some of the animals was often interrupted by the sound of another round of drinks being poured.

Arriving at our lodge I carried their luggage into their rooms and made sure they were comfortable and happy and as I was about to depart to my own accommodation I was asked where I will be sleeping.  I explained that I have a chalet on the other side of the camp they insisted that there was enough room for me to share accommodation with them and did not have to move so far away from them. As I did not know how to reply I just smiled, announced the time that we will meet for dinner and made sure to get out of there like the Road Runner leaving the Coyote behind.

After enjoying an incredible traditional dinner around the campfire we arrived back at their accommodation and I was invited in for a glass of wine. I was about to return to my room when they asked me how I will be getting back. I replied that I will use our vehicle and then immediately realised that the keys mysteriously disappeared. Without even looking for them I quickly said that I would walk back and with a lot of laughter the keys was handed to me by one of the ladies.

The next morning at 4:30 I knocked on the door of two of the ladies ready to hand them coffee and rusks just to be completely surprised by them opening the door naked. A plan of action was needed and needed NOW! I gathered the five ladies around a table in one of the chalets and I explained to them that we need to get a grip on this situation and if I am going to survive the next couple of days they will need to start behaving themselves in such a way that we can all enjoy our time in this magical place without any other magic interfering in my duties as their guide.

Eighteen years later I can now look back at those experiences and just smile.

#BeTheDifference





No comments:

Post a Comment