Thursday 16 April 2020

SURVIVING COVID_19 IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK.


It is 4:30 am and I am sitting outside listening to Mother Africa waking up with a variety of different bird species talking to one another. The most amazing sunrise tells me it is the start of another perfect day in this magical place called Kruger National Park filled with opportunity and adventure.
This part of heaven on earth that I can proudly call my office for most of the year. A place where you come to lose yourself in the beauty of Mother Nature and replace the anxiety of the city with complete peace and silence. Giving you the same type of feeling as after your first morning session to the toilet after a night of over indulging on spicy food.

I take another sip of my black coffee while appreciating the fact that I am blessed to do the work I do. As I put another peace of wood on the fire and finish my first cigarette for the day I thank God for what I have and for what he enabled me to do. I think back to the many people from around the globe that I introduced to the magic of Kruger National Park over the last 17 years.

Each group or family unique; from different back grounds, gender and race but all leaving here with a part of Africa in their hearts. Planning to come back as soon as time and money will allow it. I made so many good friends because of this place and a big part of who I am is due to what this park has taught me. Every visit a unique experience with animal, reptile and bird behaviour changing from one day to the next.

Then the sound that I have been waiting for! The roar of a male lion vibrating through the air calling his mate announcing his presence and confirming his status as King of the jungle. It is at that exact moment when I hear my wife’s voice coming from our bedroom! “Francois turn down the stereo you will wake up our neighbours  and put out that stupid fire in the Weber we do not have enough wood to last us during the last part of lock down! It is 5am come get back into the house! You are in Pretoria  not the bush! Rember we still need to do the egg drinking challenge later today!”

COVID_19 affected all of us and for small businesses it is an uncertain time for survival. I will be back in the African bush but we do not know when. We as a company will survive and come out stronger but for that to happen we need to help one another even if it is just by sharing this story or liking a page or a word of encouragement.

For those of you that have been on tours with us we pray for all of you during these times and know that you will be back as soon as this is over but in the mean while if you feel like supporting us during these times by donating towards these stories I write, please follow the link to our PayPal channel and let us know you are still there for us too.

#StayAtHome




No comments:

Post a Comment