Monday 24 February 2020

WHAT TO EXPECT ON A "ACTION" SAFARI.

Our first magical day on safari in Kruger National Park, with my new 76 to 81 year old international guests were coming to a close around the campfire when I’m approached by what seems to be the leader of the group. Dressed in camouflage clothing from top to bottom that will make any professional huter jealous she moves towards me at a pace of a mine worker in South Africa on a Friday after lunch

 “Francois thank you for the beautiful animals that you have showed us today and the information and knowledge you shared with me and the group but young man we came to Africa for action”.

Looking at her with the same expression of disbelieve that can be seen on our previous president’s face when asked to step down; I promise to do better the following day, but still confused what they really want. With that she turn towards the group and with one hand gesture basically orders the rest of the group to go to bed.

After breakfast we depart from Skukuza towards Pretoruis Kop and after about 6.4km we turn left towards the Mathekanyane lookout point. After the morning aerobics class, also revered to as getting out of a Toyota Mini bus, we walk to the edge and with absolute amazement we all stare in to the distance. Kruger National Park offers some of the most diverse & breathtaking landscapes you can find when on safari anywhere in the world. A truely magical peace of heaven on earth that I can proudly call my office.

They all still chuckled at my remark that you can see your dog run away for two days from here and then it happened! From behind the small tree on our right, two warthogs appear from nowhere clearly in a rush to get away from us. In the process almost running in to my clients.

What followed reminded me of a 100m Olympic sprint in slow motion as 10 pensioners made their way to the “safety” of our mini bus. The difficulty of getting out of the vehicle 20 minutes ago clearly forgotten. Comfort & window seats sacrified for safaty & in record time they are all seated and ready to race away from this "most dangerous" situation. As I pull away the final words of Our Father who art in heaven can be heard from the back seat. For the next hour towards our next destination  you can hear a coin drop and like a recovering alcholic in a pub during happy hour, I feel all alone surrounded by people as absolute silence falls on to our vehicle.

The day ended with a unusual amount of glasses of Amarula Cream around the camp fire under the African sky sharing stories of different sightings & experiences of days gone by.  I could not help laughing when one of the elderly gentleman in our group came up to me and told me “young man thank you for the action you showed us today, but because of that I am not getting any action for the rest of this tour”!


No comments:

Post a Comment